Last week I shared my shaker cards that I’ve been experimenting with. This week I’m going down the shiny brick road of FOILING. Years ago I tried some gold foiling with the transfer liquid and rubbing the gold foiling or flakes on when the liquid dried to the touch. It was ok but I didn’t go any further. Now it seems foiling is back with a new and improved way of dealing with it. I’ve been watching tons of videos by various crafters, their different techniques, methods and results and hearing their advice.
Feeling confident and armed with a wealth of knowledge, I dug out whatever supplies I had on hand including a laminating machine that I’ve had for many years. I did need to get a few more updated supplies and waited patiently for my orders to arrive. I also was able to find some items in Joann’s, Walmart and Hobby Lobby. Once all my supplies were assembled, it was time to dive in!! And here are my results.
Let me say up front, all the samples I will be showing you are trial and error. As with any new technique, practice makes perfect. I did have several failures along the way, but all in all, I do think that as I progressed, my foiling images were coming out much more precise.
These first cards I made using double sided tape for a quick and easy touch of foiling. This was really simple to do and the results were good. I accomplished the stamping using some peg stamp sets I got years ago and still love their effect. I also used foiling flakes that I had in my stash and like the results. Finally a way to use the ton of flakes I had on hand.
Here a few more examples using different widths of double sided tape. The sentiment greetings were from a new stamp set. Love how they look! The flowers and embellishments are from my stash.Then my orders started arriving, oh I love happy mail. I purchase several stencils, foil sheets and some new word die cuts and stamps. This time I used the laminating machine with good results.
While shopping at Walmart, I came across the section for Waverly stencil products and found a great selection of small stencils for $1.97 each! Of course, I got almost all of them. Again, using the DecoFoil Transfer Gel, stencils and laminating machine, these are the results. How beautiful them came out. I used a variety of foils, gold, silver, rose gold, iridescent and rainbow. Some die cuts and embossing for the sentiment element make the perfect touch.
This is the laminating machine I have.And these are some of the supplies.
I did have a few failures as far as the foil adhering but I think it may have been user error. All in all, I had a great time experimenting and will definitely continue on with this technique. Note: I did try using an iron instead of the laminating machine as some suggested but it didn’t work well. I may have had my iron too hot. I’ll try again and let you know if I have better results.
I also picked up some toner paper and a toner pen. I have learned that you can make your own toner sheets using a LASER printer. This technique does NOT work with ink jet printers. I read that the toner is actually some sort of plastic which, when melted, acts as the bonding agent. My next experiment.
Afterthought: I probably should have written down exactly how I did things and will do so in the future. All this has been an experimental adventure using different techniques, products and methods and I’m zoning in on the best way for me with the best results.
Any questions, I’ll be happy to try and answer but remember I’m still a novice at this.
Till next week,
PS: My computer is going out for service this Saturday and I’m not sure when I will get it back so I may or may not be able to post next week. Let’s hope for the best.