Thought I would update you on my quilt status. I’ve been working hard between my regular daily chores and caring for the baby. Seems she always knows when I sit down at my sewing machine…..time to wake up!!
So this quilt is much more than I had realized. Again, I say, read all the directions before you decide on a project. I still love this quilt and would still have decided to tackle it but I would have prepared myself for many more challenges. Seems this quilt has it all: Paper piece foundation piecing, applique, block piecing and lots of teeny, tiny pieces. I haven’t added it up yet but I will have a total number of pieces cut for the quilt when I finish all the piecing.
The first set of blocks I tackled were the green leaf blocks, simple piecing. Who knew it would take 13 pieces per block times 13 blocks. The stems of each leaf called for a hand appliqued stem piece. Easier said than done. My poor, nimble fingers just wouldn’t allow me to do the needle turn applique. I tried but knew that it would cause me so much frustration that I decided to do something a bit different. Machine applique using a simple satin stitch. And it worked out perfectly and with no stress. I think the stems look just fine and will add yet another dimension. Here’s the green leaf block. The stem looks fine, doesn’t it?
Next I made up the orange/red leaves, 8 blocks each with 17 pieces. This particular block was foundation paper pieced, something new to me. I have seen this technique on quilt programs on TV but have never tried it. I did watch a few videos online. Once it clicked, I was off and running. The only problem I had was not using pieces of fabric large enough to completely cover the portion I was working on. Lots of tearing out, a couple of throw aways but all in all, not too bad. They were made up of two blocks made separately then joined down the middle (which in this pic waiting to be sewn up) except for the last one. Here is the block.I think so far the most fun I’ve had was decided which colors go where. I tried to make a variety. I finally realized that it didn’t matter much which color went where so long as 2 of the same color weren’t next to each other. I think I would use paper foundation piecing again. I wasn’t so bad!!!
I’m now working on the last set of leaves, 13 blocks. Lots of little triangles so it will take me a few days to get through them all. All in all, I’m having fun and that’s what counts.
Come back soon and see my progress.